Google apparently had an abrupt shut down of one of its platforms, the Stadia game development studio. One of the quotes was somewhat interesting and relevant to my own life.

<quote>The report says Stadia’s developers found out about the studio closure at “almost the same time as everyone else.” Stadia’s developers had to wait three days before Harrison was available for a Q&A conference call, which the report describes as “contentious.” The most chilling line in the report details Harrison’s response to a question asking why the Studio was “making great progress” one week and then fired the next: “When asked what changed from the week prior, Harrison admitted nothing had and told those on the call, ‘We knew.'”</quote>

Yeah, been there, done that in the public sphere as well. At my previous department the Chief had a monthly department meeting the first Wednesday of each month where each of different parts of the department would give an update on what they were working on to the whole department and usually end with a little training. At the 2007 October monthly meeting one year the Chief and city commissioner overseeing the police and fire departments assured us that there were absolutely no plans to get rid of Dispatch and merge with the Red River Regional Dispatch Center. About a week or two later the Chief met with the Sheriff, which wasn’t unusual. A couple of days later one of the local news crews showed up at the public access window looking for quotes from the dispatchers about the announced merger. That was a bit of a shock, as we didn’t know anything yet.

The Chief and the City Commission then put out an email that evening announcing the merger. Life moves fast, you need to always have a back up plan in place and never be surprised when your stable position is suddenly unstable.

At the time there were eight dispatchers for the department and they were going to keep five people for the “police clerk”. I’m the only one that continued being a dispatcher by the end of the following summer when the transition finally occurred. Within mere months most everyone there had left for other things.

  • PR – chief dispatcher, city wouldn’t work with him to continue family medical coverage for his wife, who couldn’t draw on medicare yet, after he retired. So he continued working for another 13 months and retired. He had been there since the late 1960s.
  • PC – has been with the department since the early 1980s. Was a clerk for a few months and then moved into Records where she is currently.
  • TH – has been with the department since the late 1990s. Is the current Police Clerk Supervisor, and the only one still in the clerk position.
  • TS – had been with the department since around 1999. She remained a clerk for about a year and then left to take a position with a local school district as an administrative assistant.
  • BD – was hired a couple of weeks before I was in 2000, we went to most of our early dispatcher training together. Left about a year and half later to take a position as a police officer at my current department and is currently a SGT.
  • KK – that’s me. I’m currently the only one doing any dispatching for any department. Been over 20 years now, only about another 20 to go for retirement.
  • MS – had been hired around 2006, her last day was the same as mine, January 31, 2008. She took a position as a clerk of court across the river in Moorhead, MN. Then took the same position down in the Twin Cities a couple of years later when she moved.
  • TH – had been hired earlier in the year, left before Thanksgiving to work for local office of a national health insurance company.